Sunday, August 7, 2011

DALI'S "HOMAGE TO TERPSICHORE"

During my recent visit to Paris I went to the Dali museum with a friend of mine.  Dali's perception of the world had me engrossed as I viewed his soft watches, elephants, eggs and secret drawers.  I was more than delighted to stumble upon a sculpture named "Homage to Terpsichore".  This is what is written underneath the sculpture:

"Terpsichore is one of the famed nine Mythological muses.  In creating his version of the muse of dance Terpsichore, Dali uses a reflected image, seeing the soft, carnal muse against the hardened statue one.  The lack of definition in both faces clearly underlines the purely symbolic significance of these uses.  The dancer with the smooth and classical form represents the ever-growing and chaotic rhythm of modern life.  Both figures dance side by side in everyone"


Date:  conceived in 1977, first cast in 1984
Material:  bronze
Technique:  lost wax process

No comments:

Post a Comment