Wednesday, August 17, 2011


THOUGHTS ON ADULT BALLET CLASS





Last night I taught my first adult ballet class.  When I was asked to give this class I accepted the opportunity with concerns.  I was told this was a big group of students with diverse abilities and aged from 18 to 81! 
I have taught children my whole dance career and have learnt what to expect (or not to expect) from them.  Children's classes are also divided into levels (age and abilities).  I take those lessons as not only training but learning opportunities and include all aspects of dance (choreography, appreciation, dance and movement science).  However, this adult class was unexplored territory for me.  I prepared my lesson plan carefully, focusing on weight-transference, levels and turns.  I selected the music and practiced for hours.  Finally the time arrived....Not only was the class full and diverse in age, but there was a live pianist (thank goodness it wasn't a dead pianist)!  Did I mention that I was being observed during this class to assess my teaching abilities!!  Talk about anxiety!  Starting class felt kind of like a blind date.  We didn't know each other or what to expect and it felt strained and uncomfortable at first.  But eventually a rhythm did emerge and both the students and I seemed at ease with each other as the class progressed.  I found it challenging to correct them...some were recreational dancers, others had arthritis.  So instead I was encouraging of those who were trying and more critical of those who were clearly professional.  There was one particular student who was exceptional but had trouble with her pirouettes.  I asked her to see me after class.  Another older student asked me for help with his ballottes and I took the time to explain and demonstrate.

The ending was like a first kiss. You know how are never sure how to navigate...is it just a peck or a full-mouth kiss?  I had gone for the quick painless peck, with a little (teeny tiny) reverence and saw a look of shock come across their faces!  As I walked to the pianist to thank her they all came over and curtsied/bowed individually, thanking me.  I was taken aback as this behavior is not what I'm used to expecting in my classes.  One student told me she found my combinations to be mentally-stimulating and challenging.  I ended up really helping the student with her pirouettes (and she left happy).  The 'ballotte' guy thanked me for taking the time to help him.  I was touched.

I am sure from an observer's point of view my teaching was not the best.  My correcting was minimal, my explanations awkward and I must have appeared nervous.  However, I have learnt from my experience that I am not afraid of failing, only afraid of not trying...and I tried, and I enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment